Perugia is a city gem that unfolds slowly in front of the eyes of visitors. It preserves the appearance of a fortified medieval village, but it has a very busy city life, linked to the presence of the ancient University and the greater University for foreigners in Italy. In Perugia Piero left the Polyptych of Perugia portraying in the center the Madonna and Child, one on their sides Saint Anthony of Padua, John the Baptist, Francis and Elizabeth of Hungary, on the summit the Annunciation set in front of an extraordinary escape perspective. Perugia holds artistic treasures that testify to the rich past: the Etruscan Well, the Oratory of San Bernardino, the Maggiore fountain, the Cathedral of San Lorenzo, the Paolina fortress and the Palazzo dei Priori.
The National Gallery of Perugia then “tells you” more about large Umbrian artists and also from outside: from Gentile da Fabriano to Fra Angelico, Piero della Francesca. Sweet, finally, the transition to modernity of Umbria, described in the masterpieces of Gerardo Dottori and Alberto Burri “the revolutionary artist of the sacks.”
IAT “Loggia dei Lanari”:
+ 39 075 5736458 – 075 5772686
Piazza Matteotti, 18 – Perugia
Galleria Nazionale dell’Umbria:
+39 075 58668410
Palazzo dei Priori, Corso Vannucci 19 – 06100 Perugia (PG)
Products and dishes of the territory of Perugia
Umbrian cuisine is a bit as its land: simple but genuine.
It is madewith a very large part of the ancient tradition of agricultural and livestock, such as the famous charcuterie. But it also offers products of unquestionable value such as oil, wine and truffles.
- PDO(Protected Designation of Origin): Spelt of Monteleone in Spoleto, The Extra Virgin Olive Oil Umbria;
- PGI (Protected Geographical Indication): Norcia Ham, The Lentil of Castelluccio, The White Veal of the Central Appenines;
- Slow Food: The Roveja of Civita di Cascia, The Fagiolina of Lake Trasimeno, The Black Celery of Trevi, Mazzafegati Upper Tiber Valley, The Cicotto Grutti;
- DOCG (Denomination of controlled and guaranteed origin): Torgiano Rosso Riserva, Sagrantino di Montefalco;
- DOC (Denomination of controlled origin): Torgiano, Assisi, Perugia’s hills, Martani Hills, Todi, Montefalco, Hightiber Hills, Amerini Hills, Trasimeno lake’ hills, Spoleto;
- First course: soups and pasta dishes with vegetables, spelled, barley and chickpeas;
- Main dishes: roast lamb, wild boar, pigeon and rabbit;
- Sweets: Perugia-Torcolo San Costanzo.