The Legend of the True Cross

The Basilica of San Francesco houses in the Bacci Chapel the fresco cycle of the Legend of the True Cross, the masterpiece that the artist painted for the Franciscan church approximately between 1452 and 1466. The subject of the cycle is taken from the Golden Legend of Jacopo da Varazze, written in the thirteenth century. Among the beloved landscapes of the artist and painted architecture, Arezzo itself perched on the hill and Sansepolcro with its buildings arranged in perspective as backdrops, geometrically perfect figures gracefully accompany, scene after scene, the observer in the history of the story.

Contacts

Church of San Francesco
Via Guido Monaco, 11
52100 Arezzo
+39 057520630