Polyptych of Mercy

Tempera on wood, was commissioned to Piero della Francesca by his homonymous company of Sansepolcro in 1445. At the center stands the image on a gold background of the majestic and static Madonna of Mercy that houses under her mantle, as she was in a large tabernacle, the community of clients and devotees: among them lies the self-portrait of Piero. Above the Crucifixion with Mary and St. John enclosed in their own pain.

Contacts

Municipal Museum of Sansepolcro
Via Niccolò Aggiunti 65
52037 Sansepolcro
+ 39 0575 732218
www.museocivicosansepolcro.it